O Neill Healthcare is sponsoring the Ann Beckett Award again in 2014 at the Association of Occupational Therapists Conference. The event takes place from 9th to 10th May in Whites of Wexford.
The AOTI Ann Beckett Award is awarded to occupational therapists to demonstrate the core principals of occupational therapy in practice. Members of AOTI can apply or be nominated for the award by their colleagues and clients.
For more information please go to the AOTI website.
Guidelines and rules
- Applicants must be current members of AOTI
- The project must be located in Ireland
- The project must have been initiated within 18 months of the application
- The commissioned sculpture is the property of the AOTI and must be returned to the Committee each year.
- A replica trophy is given to the nominated lead therapist
- Client consent and confidentiality must be respected
- Applications must be in by closing date on application form
- The award will be presented at the AOTI annual conference
- Applicants will be invited to present a poster or presentation at the conference
- In the event of the conference being cancelled, the award will be presented at the AOTI AGM
- The projects will be marked under the following headings. All categories below have equal weightings.
- Empowerment of clients
- Clients’ enjoyment
- Outcomes for clients
- Involvement of clients
- Fostering integration and community awareness
- Sustainability of the intervention
- Promotion of occupational therapy
- Educational value for occupational therapists
- Relevance to occupational therapy principles
- Adjudication Process
The awarding committee will adjudicate between applicants on the basis of the initial application and a subsequent visit to short listed therapists and clients involved with the interventions.
The visits by awarding committee representatives are an opportunity for the clients and occupational therapists to reflect on and celebrate their achievements. This is a vital part of the process of being considered for the award.